Oven baking is an insanely easy and fabulous way to cook rhubarb as it holds its shape and the flavours become quite concentrated during cooking and cooling. Vary the flavours, the recipe here is just a suggestion.
Baked spiced rhubarb
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 3 cups
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 750 grams fresh rhubarb stalks, washed
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 fresh vanilla bean
- juice of one Valencia orange
- Zest of one lemon
- splosh of brandy (or something else, such as cointreau)
- Make sure your rhubarb is well washed. Cut into lengths approximately 2 inches long.
- Place rhubarb and all other ingredients in a baking dish and cover tightly with a layer of baking parchment, then seal off with a layer of foil.
- Place in your oven, preheated to 180 Celcius and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and check that all the rhubarb has cooked through. Stir lightly to avoid mushing the fruit, then return to the oven for a further 10 minutes if it needs a bit more cooking.
- If not eating straight away allow to cool, covered before removing the vanilla beans and star anise and placing into an airtight container in the fridge. Or you can freeze for later use.
- Serve warm or cold with ice cream or custard. Or use in a tart, on pastries or a cake. The choice is yours.
Marti is The Infatuated Foodie. She's a dedicated and passionate cook, creator of recipes and a qualified journalist, professional writer and marketing communications consultant who just loves everything about ...Read more about this chef..